Sunday 15 April 2012

Testing our nettle

I usually get annoyed with foragers. Especially those ones from Angel Islington, say, who then blog about it. Don't they know there's a perfectly good Waitrose around the corner?

But, stuck in the countryside last weekend I really did have to turn to Mother Nature's larder for lunch. And to feed six. What would Mrs Tiggy Winkle do?

So I went out to the field (you really do have to own one for this sort of cooking), and picked some celery and leeks off the trees, then dug up an onion and some garlic, harvested two large tablespoons of rice, and with a strong pair of gloves, picked the top few leaves off every baby nettle I could see. I'm afraid I had to buy in the stock cube. Nature fell short on that one.

My sous chef (Ro) sweated the celery, leek, onion, garlic, then added the rice and stock. After simmering that for ten minutes she added the nettles and wilted them. Then under Mother's firm non spilling instruction she pureed it. I added a dollop of creme fraiche I'd been busy
squeezing from a cow whilst the cooking was going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment