Saturday 22 October 2011

In suspense! Of whether we will make it home

After the excitement and lets just say, anti climax of the night, we were due for a long hard day of walking. I suppose at least we were doing something. A couple of days before I was so bored that I wondered about using up my stock of tampons unnecessarily, just to fill half an hour.

Need not have worried about being bored as my entire day was filled up with walking. And crying. And aching. And being drenched and cold from torrential rain. AND having to be pulled up the last few miles of mountain by Pemba as I couldn't move my own muscles any longer. Let me tell you that's all he's going to pull now after ignoring me all today.
Anyway, a suspension bridge had collapsed in the earthquake meaning we had to forge our own path up two extra hours of almost vertical mud and trees. One stumble would have meant dropping off the sheer face of the mountain. Ssh don't tell Mum.

Eventually got back to Lukla. The village where our whole trek had started. I cried quite a lot and then moped around, well more rolled I was so padded with down. I really have never been in so much pain in my life. I was chain paracetemolling for days after.

I think we had some hot garlic soup that night. Mixed with drops of my tears of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment