Friday 21 October 2011

Rock my body

We arrived back at Namche Bazaar, home of the highest pub in the world. I was planning on it being quite a fun night, if you know what I mean, so made sure I splashed out on a £4 shower.

Nice and clean I sauntered up to the dining room. At that moment the room shook. Well I wasn't sure if it had. Blind Spice announced that it did and I had started loudly and viciously deriding her when the Sherpas started screaming earthquake and everyone charged at the door. I obvs went too.
We stood outside in the dark, very scared. All the lights had gone off in the village. There hadn't been an earthquake in Nepal for 80 years. It was really scary. But after a while we got bored of waiting in the cold dark and sloped back inside for our dinner of yak steak. After we were settled round the table the Danes ran in armed with first aid kits and muscles, shouting 'is anyone injured??' We all looked at them like they were mad. Err we're eating..

FYI yak steak tastes like cat food. I forced it down and rushed upstairs to pick my tightest thermals out and 'do my face' in a non mountain trek way, ready for the proposed bar trip!

Cut to three am. No one could accuse me of not keeping morale up.
We had to stay awake till midnight to be ready to run from aftershocks. So £25 of Everest whisky and lots of dancing with the Sherpas later, I was somehow back exactly where I'd planned. In Pemba's excuse for an en suite.

Now that was what you call a natural disaster!


No comments:

Post a Comment