Thursday 21 February 2013

Content in Kerala


I don't usually feel that happy on holidays abroad. Usually i'm annoyed at people, embarassed about my own presence, or certain that i'm going to get brutally raped and murdered within the hour. South America I'm talking to you.. Ro asked me why I go at all but I think it's like eating ginger. I'm sure I'll like it one day. But, right now I feel very content. Ro and I are slumbering top to tail on a first class train bunk. I have reassuring physical content that someone likes me, I'm full from our delivery of train curry, the warm breeze is not quite suffocating us, and I can see palms waving at the brim of the window. Even Ro is smiling in her sleep when she usually makes this face.
She says she likes being on holiday with me as I make such a big deal out of everything that it makes her feel really successful when she does something that to her is the simplest task. If it was me I'd stay firmly in our 4* hotel with the AC on full, the high thread count linens up to my chin, and the fashion tv channel running all day if there's nothing else on. 
The only thing I beat her at today was being more authentic eating our rice and daal with my fingers. She refused, preferring an old bit of cardboard from the box as a scoop. Tourist! It's lucky India likes messy eaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment