Friday 23 March 2012

Time traveller's thai bride

Continuing my shameless recycling of old posts here is one I picked by playing 'Guess what an earth she cooked from that post label' . It's a really good game. I go through the list of keywords that link to my post history and decide whether I want to pick 'bubblewrap', 'napping', 'hungover', 'i hate boys', or this one, which was emblazoned with 'I'm turning Japanese, yes I'm turning Japanese I really think so.' I clicked and it plunged me into September 2010. a.k.a the orient.

China Girl

The other night when Chaz, Bob and I were being wined and date-raped (not!) by the band of generous Turks, we were mildly baffled when one asked me if I was a bit Jap. Before I could wrinkle my brow Chazney interjected, 'She can be anything you want her to be' (..as long as you keep giving us free gins and chicken shish..). Now, when I say only mildlybaffled it's because although you'd think this query is completely startling I do receive it probably about five times a year (on average). Put it down to dark hair and pallor coupled with a look of incomprehension when strangers I don't want to be on the same bus as try to talk to me, the occasional coat buttoned up the wrong way, and according to a colleague who enquired about my cultural background, a certain roundness of face.

To do honour to my faux roots I took my patients to China Town today. I didn't really enjoy my shrimp and vegetable vermicelli but they slurped up theirs happily. Must taste better than cold tinned macaroni cheese eaten with wooden spoon.

As that wasn't very tasty todays recipe is going to come instead from my escape to Pink Granny and Grampa's for Friday and Sat. We had a beautiful prawn and lime risotto suggested by our very own Dave W.
Soften one red onion, one stick celery. Commence risotto with liberal application of vermouth. As you keep stirring and it develops add one chopped courgette. Add lime juice as the arborio rice swells up to absorb it. Add the prawns just before finished. Grate a bit of lime on to the top. Serve with parmesan.
We had two puddings. One was very refreshing with layers of orange, with sweet juice and cinnamon. Oh also had home made cinnamon ice cream. The chocolate cake was rich chocolate tart baked in a crisp pastry case. Had that with double cream. Mum had iced it with my Granny and Grampa's initials when she'd been there a few days before but we scraped that off. Bit old. Everything else was sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment