Friday 3 May 2013

(One) Sweet Tooth

This is Sam - he's 162 years old (not dog years I might add- real time.) He only has one (snaggle) tooth left and unfortunately this means his tongue lolls attractively out of the other side of his mouth at all times. He doesn't do much with his days - just naps in his basket by the aga and occasionally is sick or urinates all over himself and his bedding just to keep us on our toes. To be honest, I know how he feels. How many times have I been nice and warm in bed and needed to get up to go to the toilet? We've all been there! All you want to do is wet the bed. I recounted this story to Fran and she said she did it once. Of COURSE you did.

I've had kind kind offers from my uncle and boyfriend to 'finish him off for you'and 'stop him making that howling noise forever' but I've had to decline this sweetness because HE'S A LIVING CREATURE AND I DON'T BELIEVE WE SHOULD KILL THINGS JUST BECAUSE THEY GET OLD. My boyfriend's great aunt is being of some trouble to his family. Maybe I should offer my services?

Anyway, I'm rambling. I need to tell you about the culinary challenge that's afoot. Like all oldies, Sam is a bit off his food. Now, normally he gets given dog biscuits and maybe a bit of cat food if he's been really good. But lately he won't eat anything and he's lost 0.05kg as a result. Please don't scoff - he only weighs about 2.5kg in total (did I not mention that he's tiny? I once got asked why I had a rat on a lead!) My challenge now is to try and find some appetising food for my darling.

I tried:
Cut up bits of mackerel - not interested
Mushed up fish pie leftovers - not even a sniff of interest
Slices of boiled egg -  a disdainful look.

But now I have cracked it. First I dissolved a lot of sugar in some hot water, then added milk. Then I crushed a digestive in there and smeared on some Honey. Finally I crumbled a muffin on top. And you know what - he loved it! My boy has a sweet single tooth!!

Unfortunately an hour later I found him next to a pile of creamy looking sick. But I was delighted to see that he had got up and was re-eating it! Eating the sick!
Now if that's not the highest compliment for any chef I don't know what is!

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment