Wednesday 25 March 2015

Otto-not-wronghi

This morning I asked Louis what he'd like for dinner. "Something healthy please."

"What about fish?"

He looked at me. "Or why don't I just eat my own phlegm."

Oh. Rude. Just a suggestion.

"No, no hurt eyes- I mean because i've got a cold."

Oh.


Bouncing back, I made what Ottolenghi deemed good winter comfort food. Carrot, cucumber, mangetout cut into matchsticks. Broccoli sliced very finely. All steam cooked in a miso, soy, sugar, water brown sticky mix. Sushi rice for the veg to lay their heads on and a drizzle of sauce (crushed toasted peanuts, sesame seeds, white rice vinegar, groundnut oil).

In the park about 6pm I started talking to a fellow Mum. She said she'd better get back to do her kids tea. "What are you making" I asked conspiratorially. "Spicy chicken. They always complain but they like it really"

I really like to agree with everyone but I found empathising with her over them a challenge. Mm the same boring animal flesh with chilli on they get every week. Sounds great. Instead I did what a lot of adults seem to do and without acknowledging what she had said I changed the subject to myself.

"Mine just wanted something healthy so that's quite easy. Just popped an Ottolenghi on. Can't go wrong!"



No comments:

Post a Comment