Tuesday 29 March 2016

Straight laced

When I was doing medicine and could control nothing around me I got a little power mad in a really small domain.

No eating disorders, self harm or OCD for me, I really enjoyed getting other people tying my shoe laces for me.

I remember one exciting week I had three people do it and I planned to add more to my collection. I thought it was going to become my secret thrill like some people have spy holes or midnight binging.

At one point I was discovered. I got Helena to do it for me on the walk into Uni. She told me she knew what I was up to but I stood my ground and kept my hands full of bags and my eyes full of smug pleading.

I learnt from watching other people tie my Tims that the tying shoe laces method seems to be quite individual to people. Unless it's me that's doing it all wrong. Which is quite likely. But if it IS based on personal preference then that's quite similar to ones individual method for applying jam and cream to scones, or how to test when spaghetti is done (ceiling or taste).

Another thing that's quite personal is chilli seasoning. Louis has started going to niche chilli shops and keeping bottles on the table. I didn't used to have any at all but I must have got more advanced under his tutelage because I didn't think anything of the curry he made for us and my Dad not too long ago.

Dad couldn't eat it it was so hot and had to have a specially made scrambled egg on toast! Unless that was a trick and his control domain is making people cook special meals for him....




No comments:

Post a Comment