Friday 26 April 2013

Woffling on

I always get excited when I see rarebit on the menu because I think i'm about to get a nice meaty piece of bunny. Then ever so sorry when I remember that it's just cheese. What first world shock.

I remembered this because I was making a list of dishes that my Grampa will eat. Rabbit was on it and I thought, hmm you only usually see that on Welsh teashop menus. Ohh, tears tears, that's just stupid cheese on toast. So you can imagine how my heart soared when I was in the butcher's shop with Granny recently.
"Frances, come and look at this meat." Ok, Granny, which one would you like out of all those enormous dead animal caracasses?'

And then I spotted it! A fridge full of rabbit! Oh look Granny.. "Are you sure?", said Mr Jones the Butcher. We made nervous faces at each other. We don't like change. Granny resolved herself, "Yes" she nodded, looking anything but sure.

We bought it and stewed it and ate it with mash potato. It was completely delicious. With bated breath we asked Grampa if he'd liked it? He thought it was chicken. Small adventures.


If anyone wants to invite me out the house I promise I won't retell this "story". I'll be as cute company as a real life bunny.







No comments:

Post a Comment