Wednesday 20 March 2013

Spoon fed

It's been two days at the ashram but it feels like two years. I can't remember what the outside world is like. What does it feel like to not be plucked from bed at 5.20am for meditation? What does it sound like to not have 'hare hare hare hare raam' going round and round in your head. What does it taste like to have more than two meals a day?

The food is amazing though. Loads of different veg curries, daal, popadoms, some way of doing cauliflower so it tastes like meat. The only thing is that it is a bit hard to eat the liquid with your fingers. I usually leave my raitha or just dribble it over the floor. Ro finds eating with fingers disgusting so she has smuggled in a spoon. Spoons are currency here. "Have you got one?" "I saw an engraved one by the sink, quick." "I'll swap you my mosquito net for your spork."
Today Ro dropped hers with a clatter on the stone floor during dinner. I watched the internal dilemma on her face. To eat with hands or eat with the spoon which has been dropped on the floor where everyone stands with their dusty yoga feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment