Thursday 28 March 2013

The love bus

We've spent a relaxing five days slumbering by the side of Periyar wildlife reserve. Once on the bus out of there Ro remarked that these lazy days have been her favourite. I replied that I was happiest here right now. For the next three hours I knew I would be jammed in the middle seat of the bus with the other two forced to cuddle me. What could be better for someone so needy? She said I was a weirdo.
Unfortunately I'd forgotten that I get travel sick so spent the time head back with a cold flannel over my face. It cooled my brow and blocked me from the air thick with heat, dust and perfumed trees outside, which would otherwise be beating my head like a high thread count towel. 

I came up for air once to soothe Ro's nerves. Men were banging the metal blinds shut on the bus windows and it reminded her of the prelude to that poor girl's rape in Delhi. I think I've infected her with my traveller tension by every night as we fall asleep clutching a lock of her hair so she doesn't get McCanned.


india-bus.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment