Wednesday 16 December 2009

Cranstonberry Sauce

(I technically didn't write a single word of this, Dave did. I wish I had though as it sounds really great. Thanks Dave. I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him very soon! xxx)

This is a glorious recipe, and a good one to make for a 'chip in' meal, like our annual Christmas 'DO' on the Cranston Estate. It is incredibly easy to make off-site and transports well in a kilner jar, and will even keep for up to one month in the freezer before turning sour with the seasons. I once went to the Ocean Spray 'Cranberry World' in Massachusetts, so it's always an honour to cook with these little crimson jewels. I've no idea what else you'd use them for, other than a sauce and juice, because they taste FOUL when raw.

I like to add red onions to this sauce so we don't get fooled into thinking it's just a sour poorly made jam. Red onions go wonderfully well in sauces and really do complement a sweet tooth. Next summer I'll give you my recipe for red onion + peach + feta salad.

------------------------------

- 225g Cranstonberries
- 1/2 Small red onion, sliced into delicate rings
- Rind and juice of one happy orange
- 125g Muscovado
- 50ml Port (.....or 70ml for xmas)


-Lightly fry off the red onions in macadamia nut oil (to preserve the natural sweetness)
-Throw EVERYTHING into the pan
-Bring to the boil, stir until the berrys burst and release plumes of deep red
-Simmer, stirring occasionally for 5-10 mins
-Leave to cool and JAR it.

------------------------------

KISSES!
x x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment