Wednesday 17 March 2010

BALL the better for seeing you!

Well, hello boys and girls. This is me posting to you through cyber land. Last Wednesday I had a day off and came over to the Estate to spend some time with Franny. I decided to cook my favourite hard working boys (and girl) a wonderful dish of delish meatballs. They were very meaty. As you can see below, I am modelling a Cath Kidston apron with my sausagy fingers.

No, those are not chocolate truffles decadently dusted with icing sugar, they are, in fact reader, a plate of sausage meat balls dusted with flour. Fran and I decided that if we found out a boyfriend was cheating, we would play dumb to the affair and feed these to him, promising Thornton's best. We also thought it would be fun to put fish under someone's mattress if it was the summer time, and loved a story where our friend pissed on somebody's radiator during the winter. There are many more horror stories for bad flatmates/boyfriends, but this is a cooking blog, not a hating blog.


Franny had to feed me biscuits whilst I rolled the meat as my fingers were too sticky. She also burnt my tongue.
First, buy a packet of sausage meat (I find this works best, I do love a good sausage) and roll it up in to small balls. Then roll these in flour and fry them in oil (or butter, whichever lubricant you prefer) until they are brown. Then place them in to your sauce and leave them to cook for at least an hour so that everything can infuse.
For the sauce, I add a bottle of passatta, a bottle of tomato, garlic and herb sauce, a can of chopped tomatoes (don't worry tomato fiends, these will reduce to nothing), half a jar of sun dried tomato pesto, mushroom ketchup (only available in special stores), spinach, butter, black pepper, mixed herbs, a beef OXO cube and of course some red wine which is best to drink whilst you're cooking. Lovely.
Let it simmer away and be careful not to stir it too much otherwise the meatballs may fall apart. Cook some expensive pasta (steer clear of spaghetti reader, it's highly common) and serve with some grated cheese or parmasan. Of course dust it ALL with black pepper.

Mmm. A perfect dream.
Enjoy
Roast xx







No comments:

Post a Comment