Friday 27 November 2009

Escape to the country (well, zone 4)



Went to Blue Granny's for the day yesterday. It was a lovely cold, crisp but sunny day and as I walked up to her house from the station I was feeling very happy. She and Grampa live right by Epping Forest which made my walk practically like walking through 'Bambi' compared to being at the Estate.
As soon as I arrived I was seated with a snack. Fruit scone and a mini roll which Granny had purloined from choir. No one else was using it. Granny had been baking so that's why there is flour on the table. First time I've stained within five minutes of arriving somewhere. Was too close to some pastry crumbs. Poor heat tech leggings just attract food.





We spent the day chatting and having a big lunch and various other snacks. We had
toad in the hole for lunch because Granny knows I love it. She puts chopped up tomatoes and mushrooms in the batter with the sausages which was a nice touch.
These are 2 out of 3 of the apple and blackberry pies that Granny had whipped up that morning. She makes the pastry properly and her freezer is always swimming with stewed fruit ready for such occasions. I didn't ask the recipe for my blog because she doesn't use one but I did find a nice Apple and Blackberry pie recipe from Delia that would be a good template for people like me who get a bit unconfident without a strict recipe to keep us in line.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/pastry/apple-and-blackberry-pie.html

If that seems a bit complicated then stew some fruit (I use stewed because that's what granny always gives me for my freezer and I've got loads). To stew, clean and if necessary peel the fruit. Stew in sufficient water until tender. When almost done add what sugar is needed. Then I'd use ready to roll pastry, roll it out, and line a greased pie dish with it. Put the right amount of fruit in. Roll a lid for it, put it on and pinch the edges together in a nice crinkly pattern with your thumb and finger. Obvs trim any excess off first. Remember to make a steam hole in the centre. I like to make some leaves or hearts with leftover pastry and stick them on the top.
Then brush the top with milk and sprinkle on some sugar before baking for about 30 mins at gas mark 5. Keep checking it till it's golden brown.

Better go to get my breakfast now darlings. Bye for now xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment