Tuesday 24 November 2009

Oh Hi Pie


I made a chicken and mushroom pie the other day which was delicious. With the last of the pastry I also made cherry plum jam tarts with jam my pink granny had made. My housemate Jim said he felt like he was at home (home home) after polishing his share off. It was a lovely evening. Mark, Jim and I watched Life whilst we were eating it which is always a nice food accompaniment, and a notable marker of how late we always end up cooking on a Monday night.

Recipe for the pie I made
I'm afraid I cheated and used ready made pastry
Cut up left over chicken from the roast the night before
2 Leeks, finely sliced
Mushrooms left in the fridge, finely sliced.
1 tbs butter, 1 tbsp flour
hot chicken stock
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1 beaten egg for glazing

Cook leeks and mushrooms for 3 mins in pan until softened. Remove them, set aside, melt butter in the pan, add flour and stir well in. Using a hand whisk add stock and stir to make a gravy. Cook for 3 mins, add chicken, veg, herbs. Cook for 2 more mins then leave to cool. Line dish with pastry, put mixture in and roll out lid for the top. Brush the egg over the pastry. Crimp edges to seal. Cut hole in lid so steam can escape and bake for 40 mins.
Another nice pie is one my darling friend Bob made for me.
It's a really long recipe so you can look at it yourself.
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/272958/Hairy-Bakers---Chicken-and-wild-mushroom-pie

I tried to make it for Alastair's birthday last year but I ruined it because it's really hard so he had to go out and get new pastry and finish it. I was probably inside crying about it.

I've got to go for now as I'm attempting to cycle to E8 to meet my friend Lizzy for lunch. I hope I make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment